Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Week 4: "When it comes to the treadmill, never underestimate the curviest girl in the room" or "Don't be afraid to sweat like a man"

Week results: 155 lbs. BMI 25.1. So what if I didn't drop much? Its still an improvement, right? Yes, I think so. I am not basing my success of the past week on what the scale says but, rather, on how I feel. (Which is awesome, I might add).
First of all, I took control of my weekend. I had fun, but I didn't get carried away (and by "carried away" I mean that I didn't give myself a beer-bloated belly so big that, by Sunday, I floated off into the night sky). I worked out on Saturday for the first time in several weekends. And by Monday, despite giving into my temptation to buy a Hot-and-Ready pizza Sunday night, my choices had paid off.
-------------------------------------------------------------
My greatest fear, when it comes to working out, has always been the treadmill. I've pretty much avoided it at all costs for the majority of my life. Lately, however, I've decided that running is my best option for amping up my cardio fitness routine. And because of this, and the fact that I made better choices last weekend, my endurance was through the roof Monday night. And Tuesday. I out-ran the fit Asian break-dancing guy who's always giving me workout tips (I think he has a crush on me, but hey its a confidence boost) and the skinny indie girl who I caught (more than once) checking my treadmill screen  to most likely see my time and intensity levels. Speaking of the fit break-dancing guy, I believe his exact words were "wow, you're a beast!", which isn't exactly "you're such a sex pot, marry me now" but definitely beats "move fatty, you're blocking the chin-up bar".
---------------------------------------------------------------
The best decision I made over the past week, despite those I have mentioned, was to read an article in SELF magazine (yes, I'm officially obsessed) that recommended "working out like a guy". Its changed my whole perspective and approach to working out. When I workout like a "girl" (myself) I worry about how my butt looks in the yoga pants, and whether or not a certain move will make me look dumb/butchy/fat. But if I workout like a guy I don't care if I get sweat all over my shirt, I can grunt, and I'm in constant competition with myself to do one better (as opposed to being in constant competition with the other girls). Perhaps it was the "guy" in me that brought out the beast.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Something new: I'm craving healthy foods for the first time in my life. I have always eaten fairly healthy, but there was always a certain degree of force behind the whole thing. Lately, I've been able to recognize which foods make me feel good and also satisfy whatever craving I may be having.
Motivation: Bought a fabulous new dress for the Christmas parties I have to attend over the next few weeks and it makes me feel amazing about myself. Cannot wait to wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment